Monday, October 29, 2007

Auckland University

The University of Auckland is for the most part a massive concrete jungle in the heart of Auckland. There are, however, a smattering of pretty buildings through out the campus, and the Clocktower (pictured below) is just downright beautiful. Just like the memorial Union at OSU, they look like they tried to go the extra mile with this one. I've been wanting to boulder the sides of it for months now, but word has it security has it locked down tighter than ______(insert colorful colloquialism) __________.

The Graduate student's building, likewise is gorgeous. It has an older charm to it, as the stairs creak when you ascend them, and it is made of wood unlike the brick, stone and concrete construction of the rest of campus. Note to prospective PhD and Master's students: they seem to treat their slaves.. imeangraduatestudents pretty well here. There are lots of opportunities for research and the lecturers have been some of the best I've ever had.


Like any University, the stuff visitors rarely see isn't the most aesthetic environment. My locker is deep in the underground under the Information Commons. Next to the entrance, some pipes burst months ago from one of the restaurant upstairs and there have been some fuzzy civilizations growing on the ground ever since. The area where I park my bike is littered with broken glass and is a minefield for my tires. I've never considered myself a city boy, but I've learn to accommodate this as part of my daily routine. I've never been to Times Square and it looks awesome, but I'm sure nearby lies a seedy ally filled with garbage and god knows what else. But hey, it would still be worth it.

The real plus of this campus is having Albert Park right next to it. It's a great place to go bask in the sun, though not for too long as Auckland appears to have trade restrictions on ozone. The park has some completely awesome fig trees (involved in a biology lab of mine recently) that I'll have to take some pictures of for you guys. Some climbing club members and I have set up a slack line there a few times. We're pretty lucky to have something like this this close to downtown and the high rises.

Behind the clocktower

Albert Park

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss it so much! The park truely is one of the most beautiful college parks I've seen. Great trees!!