Monday, January 28, 2008

It's robot fightin' time

The Bro posing on some slickrock

The reason I keep going back to Red Rocks on climbing trips is that each time the place seems to have more to offer. Though the grades are said to be soft by some, and the sandstone soft by others, it's hard to leave the area without a wicked case of chronic perma-grin. The kaleidoscope of colors you see at the canyon are beyond belief and are a photographers dream come true. And, as I've stated before, it has everything from long easy trad routes, great sport climbs and as Richard, Timbo and I found out, some killer bouldering too. I consider Las Vegas to be the armpit of the Universe and Red Rocks Canyon being so close to it has created a bit of a dilemma for me. The quality of the climbing and past fun times I've had there far outweigh any bad vibes I get from the "city of Sin".

The trip started out like it usually does, with a long drive from Oregon or Norcal that stretches into oblivion. Sooner or later we arrive, triumphantly... and crash at the BLM campground. The days are usually organized as such:

-an easy and sleep in late day

- hard sport day (read, feel inadequate because Lauren Lee is right next to you flashing 12.d's),

-boulder day to get rid of the gibblies you got from that whipper yesterday

-long trad day in order to go easy on your thrashed tendons (doesn't work as you invariably get off route)

-Rest day, or, in Timbo and my case: get absolutely spanked on everything you try

-Get drunk/rest day

-Spend day mostly scraping your knees on a cryptic red rock approach hike. Do one pitch. Your camelback runs dry on the way out and you start to realize the worth of showering around this day.
-Try "must do" project day. Key word is try here.
-Drive 22 hours home bragging about your conquests and sends.

We skipped a few of those last days as we had to rush back to Oregon for other reasons, but we followed the basic blueprint. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Here are some highlights.

The dudes: Richard (with the snazzy hat) belaying Tim

Richard stylin' an 11.b

One of the burlier falls I've seen anyone take. Flying upside-down for a few meters, my brother left some red discoloration all over the previously tan rock.

V hard or bowel movement? You decide, though the patched pants lead me to infer that this has happened before


a fun little slap

One of the best problems I've seen, over at the kraft boulders (I believe it's called the Monkey Bars)

I know my enemy and its name is The Pearl, V4

I have no idea...


Chimneyfest: 2007. The boulder was probably 60 feet tall and split perfectly down the middle.


End of a long day

A gorgeous, clean 12a that proved a bit much for me. I've always said that red rocks can turn an average photographer into a good one. This climb showcased some desperate slaps and a stem in a featureless corner.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Damn you.., you just seem to be finding more ways for me to spend my money.... looks pretty damn sweet!!.,

Owen Lee said...

Yeah, Jake. Be careful. Don't tempt me that I might buy an one way ticket and you might end up have a new "roommate".

Owen Lee said...

...and the colour of your blog gave me psychedelic experience.

Andy said...

After another look and read, I just thought about what lies pretty close to the armpit..., I'd have no qualms about groping round red rocks...,