Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Reduced Thermal Activity

For those of you whom are not in Oregon, the Willamette valley has been hit (and is being hit) by one of the gnarliest cold snaps we have seen in a while. Being the filthy, despicable optimist that I am, there are some unforeseen benefits of all this nasty weather. The Jackson-Frazier wetlands, located a few hundred feet behind my place of residence, has turned into a winter wonderland rife with aesthetic ice formations, snow cloaked shrubs and other winter treasures. It is bound to excite even the most amateur photographer. That's right, even me.




With such great beauty comes great inconvenience. No, I don't mean figuring out how to get rid of that annoying guy at the bar. The wintry weather might not allow me to get down to California in time for the Gradek family Christmas party. Let me just say I've never left the chains on this long. As sad as missing family members during the holiday might be, with rumors of ice forming in the Gorge and frozen Mac forest riding on the horizon, I think I'll get by. If this new storm socks us in more than the last, I think most Oregonians aren't going anywhere for a while...'cept for those with tools and crampons.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

love the pictures. especially the one with the snow piled up on the branches. i love that look. do you think that snow would pile up on your beard like that if you slept outside?

~I said...

yea, you failed. it was 18 degrees in the gorge the whole time. (and probably is now, 2 days later) check greg's blog for ice climbing pics.