Wednesday, July 14, 2010

AK

Finally some time for my poor, neglected blog. Let me sum up the last several months briefly: school, broke, grading, time well spent with Rachel, climbed mt. Hood, school, explosions teaching chemistry, animal surveys, more school (future teachers seem to hang out here a lot), graduated, lots of mountain biking, beer swilling, brewing, snuggling and cooking. I think that's pretty much it.

Well, except I moved to Alaska last weekend. I'm up here training to be a groundfish observer for the NOAA (actually uses a degree I have, woot!). I'll be stationed out on a fishing boat in the gulf of Alaska or the Bering Sea. It should be a pretty interesting job, provided the sea sickness in some of the stormiest seas on the planet isn't too bad. It's the same waters where they film the TV show "the deadliest catch," which apparently is fairly accurate.

Unfortunately, me posting pictures of most of my activities would be a breach of contract, but I'll make sure to get some nice scenery shots, though that might be a bit optimistic of me as they apparently get about 3 days of sunshine up here anyways. If any of you eat fish in the next few months there is a chance that I weighed, sexed, measured and identified the specimen.

It's homework time (thought I was done with that). I'll post more when I can, but I hope you all are enjoying summer, except you kiwi readers of course. Cheers!

No comments: