Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Auckland Harbor bridge at sunset. Note to cyclists, there is no way across this section of H2O

Albert Park, near the University

Albert Park




Cox's Wash, a small little slough. It's quite an ecologically diverse area for basically being in town.

So international student's pub night was a blast. There was a bit O' headache this morning though. Your head does not spin the opposite direction here in the southern hemisphere, I found out. The international staff gave each of us name tags with certain terms on them; you had to go find 3 other people that your tag relates to, and you could collect a prize. I had "America's", and I found a French dude who had "Europe" and a German girl who had "Africa". We never did find "Asia" though, so someone else got a prize. It was still fun just walking around and talking with people from all over the world. One word on NZ beer though, their darkest beer, I mean their DARKEST looks like tap water with a slight ochre tinge to it. It's better than nothing I suppose. They have excellent Asian food and Sushi here in Auckland. Oh and here's the quiz for the day. What do Kiwi's call Bell Peppers? Anyone...Bueller? Well, they call them capsicums. I have never heard that term in my life. It sounds like a pill old people take. Though to be honest, I've never heard living way out in the middle of no-where (or Boonies, BFE etc.) called "way out in the Wap Waps". Say that in your best Kiwi accent and it should crack you up. Anyhow, take care back in the States you people. Props to my cuz' Justin who is also abroad. Cheers!

P.S. Little known fact, you can get sunburnt in about 6 minutes in New Zealand. Somebody send me some Ozone stat!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

This is a cool idea. I check back every couple of days to see if you have a new post up. It's fun. Yeah, and the capsicums, we found that used in a cook book given to us. We had to Google it because we had no idea what the hell it was. I great to hear more of the funny way to say things. I hope you come back talking like a New Zealander. Keep up the good work.

Jake said...

Yeah, Thanks to G for the finding this blogging site for me. Dude, when's the Sharmanator showing up? Oh, and how's classes back in the States? Peace.

Ma & Pa said...

Jake: Nice photos! Keep 'em coming.
Could Capsicum be a scientific name? Upon further reading, it seems as though you are already speaking another language. Must be a generational thing, eh?

Anonymous said...

People should read this.