Sunday, March 18, 2007

NZ rock virgin no longer

So I went climbing outdoors at a real crag (the 20 foot tall quarry in Auckland doesn't count) for the first time during my stay here.

It. Was. Rad.

*ahem* anyways, the rock climbing club went on our orientation trip. We introduced about 30 or so first timers to some real rock. Most of them had a great time, although we got rained out on Sunday. We drove a couple hours south to this area called Wharepapa. It is mostly farmland with green, rolling hills with cows and sheep everywhere. Pretty ordinary sounding, I know, but the geology of the area doesn't make any sense. Creeks flow in weird directions all haphazardly and there were little hollows everywhere. The rock type of the area is Ignimbrite and it pokes out of the ground here and there, much to the delight of climbers like myself. It is the most pocketed rock I have ever seen, Jugs abound, and there is everything from thin slabs to roof climbs. All in all it is beautiful country, and as the locals tell me, it is pretty much always green there. Ok, commence Pictures!



A pretty lake we stopped at

Climbing Orientation, Saturday. That's the club Prez Andrew in the goofy orange headwear


Start of the 22 I led. Fun!

Tricky Feet

I don't know why I look like I'm in pain here

1 comment:

Ma & Pa said...

Beautiful country indeed.

Got a crick in yer back?