Thursday, March 22, 2007

Terminology

So I'll be headed up to Northlands to the Bay of Islands this weekend hopefully. A group of exchange students and I are still waiting to hear back from the car rental agency. The bay of islands is supposed to be a real touristy area (hey, you gotta be one sometime) with lots of tour boats, snorkeling and other activities. The weather is supposed to deteriorate sometime during the next month so now is the time to go check it out. I'd like to check out 90 mile beach if I get the chance too. I'm headed to a Rugby match tonight, where the Blues are playing... uh... somebody. Hey it's the national sport, I have told by numerous kiwi's to go see one game. The game makes almost as little sense to me as cricket. But maybe I'll have it figured out by this evening. Not much else is going on here. I've been busy with projects and studying for my upcoming exams. I'll get 2 weeks off from the 6th-20th of april. Here's some NZ terminology for you to get you by till I post some more pictures.

Stuffed up= screwed up
pissed= drunk
headtorch= headlamp (I still laugh every time at that one)
Dairy= corner store
Togs=swim suit/ trunks
Jandals= flip flops (do not call them thongs)
Span= stem (climbing term, for you climbers out there)
abseil= rappel

And some random facts

-They put shredded carrots on almost every sandwhich I've ever seen here.
-Chips = French fries, but be careful, sometimes they are made out of sweet potatoes, bleah.
-Wendy's tastes like crap here too
-Potatoes are not the most popular vegetable in NZ
-They must have 122,354,590 types of cadberry eggs here, and they had those before easter was even close
-Drunk driving appears to be the national sport, just like the U.S.
-you can't say "man, your car turns on a dime" 'cause they don't have dimes (should have known that one)
-Kiwi's almost always say "yeah" twice in rapid succession

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out, dude!

So we spent about 5 hours in a squeezy bar called "Good Times" last Saturday for St Patty's with a NZ'er. My fav line from her is bonnet = car hood, boot = car trunk.

R's headed to Red Rocks (ahh, be jealous!) for his Spring Break til next Sat, but he'll have our cell.

Much love & hugs! Have a blast & take care...

Jake said...

Ahhh red rocks. I get the Jibblies just thinking about it. Good for Richard. Yeah I hear bonnet and boot pretty frequently. Oh, and nobody says trash, it's called rubbish. The Rugby game (I mean match) was crazy. Those dudes are built like tree trunks. I cheered when others cheered pretty much. Thanks for the interest G, talk to you soon!