Monday, April 23, 2007

Easter Break: Aratiatia rapids

The Waikaito river is the longest in NZ, and generates a significant portion of their hydroelectic energy. It drains lake taupo and it carves some pretty amazing canyons along the way. On this tributary we went to, they release water about 4 times a day, creating a massive torrent called the Aratiatia rapids. Pretty awesome to behold. The water probably goes from about 10 feet deep to well over 30. I'm not to sure why they release it in itervals, as that wouldn't be to optimum for generating hydroelectric power, but hey I wasn't complaining.





Yep, same (well close anyways) view as the last pic. It was a ton of H2O


Again with the crazy blue water. There were some big trout in their too. Again, these are introduced. Somebody should get them out of there....hmmmm

I had to have at least one goat picture. These were often chilling on the side o' the road, contemplating the mysteries of the universe I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the goats were thinking of ways to get to me...I want and will need goats in my life :D