Monday, September 10, 2007

Yehaw

Hey guys! I just rolled back into town early this morning and as expected the S. Island was a blast. Our group was a lively bunch, the scenery superb, the climbing incredible and the weather... well that was less than amazing, but it was pretty decent for NZ and the "roaring 40's" latitudes. Now I'm back at Uni thinking about one of the best climbing trips I've been on in a while. Great road trips linger in the mind long after the trip is over, and when you factor in what might be the best bouldering on the planet (though I haven't been to Font' or Hueco), gripping Mountaineering and the free rum left at the shelter for us you have the makings of an epic. Plus, it was a learning experience. I now desperately need to climb in Germany, thanks to Stephan and Tom, and I learned to say cheese in Norwegian ("ost", though the way the girls laugh when I say it tells me I don't have it quite right :P). Oh and I can count to five in Norwegian, en to tre fire fem (sp?). Let us tally up.

Number of attempts at Mt. Rollstone: 2
Number of summits made: 0
Number of summits gained by Tom, Stephanie, Stephan, Ingrid and Kristin in one day: 4
Number of days rained out: 1
Approximate number of grades the climbs at the port hills are sandbagged: 4 (Jake was owned)
V5's "bagged": 1
Mantle's attempted: Countless
Run start problems achieved: 1
V7's flailed: many
Days spent bouldering: 4
Days spent Mountaineering: 2
Number of self arrests: 1
Number of Keas chased away from expensive gear: 34,394,953
Best English word of the day: "Spelunking"
Best Norwegian word of the day: "Ost"
~Close second: "Feig" (Wimpy)
Best Fall: Tom attempting to "jump the river"
~Close second: Kristen's gear ripper at the port hills
Best move: Owen's boot clad high heel hook
Coolest chalk bag: Ozzy climber Jay's chalk stuffed doll "Agnes"
Showers taken: 1

I'll post the pictures when I can, but to those of you back home in the U.S.A. and everyone else: may your adventures be grand and your smiles broad. Cheers!

p.s. Word has it that certain die-hard cyclist relatives of mine are yet again riding their bikes across the Continental divide. You know who you are. My hat goes off to you guys :D.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Jake,

How bout a holiday century in December...what say we ride and Sarah H. and Christine cook us a rad meal for when we get back all stinky and worn out? I should still be in pretty good riding shape by then........later
E-