Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Delay of Game: Penalty...15 yards

So I was going to finish this days ago but, I have no excuse really. Call it a several day long lapse in reason. Moving on...

My roommate Zack, buddy Fred and I rolled down to California this last Memorial Day weekend to escape this Oregon weather we've been having recently. What we found was not Oregon weather, but full-scale monsoon season and hip deep mud. My two travel mates are training for the annual Cascade Cream Puff and they thought it'd be a good idea to go ride in the 12 hours of Weaverville mt. bike Race, in Weaverville CA of all places. When we rolled in Friday evening the skies were lookin' good, the trails packed and our spirits high. Thence came the deluge the likes of which the world has never seen (a small exaggeration). I guess things weren't so bad because the last time Zack and Fred came down this way their bike rack (with attached bikes) decided to fly off their car at 65 mph.

Despite some mild hypothermia, searing lungs, inflated quadriceps and right knee, my generally cheerful disposition got me through 4 painful laps. Lap 3 was about the worst I've ever felt on a bike, and strangely, lap 4 was one of the best. It's funny how that works sometimes. You never know when your friends the endorphins are going to stop by.

Zack and Fred both finished strong, with Zack winning the single speed category and it must be stated that he stopped riding after about 9 hours. The format was pretty simple. The course was a 12 mile loop that started at the Weaverville high school. Whoever completed the most laps one the race, or there category. This being my second mt. bike race I joined the beginner class. I came in second place!... Out of 3 people. And I'm pretty sure the other two racers were riding unicycles. But either way it was still a blast, and I'd like to do something similar in the future.

The muddy 3 mile climb right off the bat still sends shivers down my spine, though. I passed a guy (who was peddling) while pushing my bike up the hill. Probably the best part of the day, besides not wrecking, was seeing my parents come and watch me roll in at the end of lap 4. Here are some of their pictures that you've probably seen already.




2 comments:

Inga Ringdalen Vatne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jake said...

Hehe, well I meant later as in "30 minutes" not a few days.