Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Big Horn Sheep

Back in 2006, I worked for the BLM in the Steens Mountain Wilderness. It was one of the better jobs I have had. Backpacking around to remote campsites, bucking aspen, using the ol' GPS and bouldering on off days had its perks for sure. I saw my second mountain lion out there, stacks of elk, antelope and some bizarre mt. dwelling shorebirds. My one regret was never getting to see a Big Horn Sheep, which I had wanted to do since my youth.

I recall being astounded hearing from one of the game wardens that a tag for a Bighorn will auction for sums up to $100,000. Well, I'm not astounded anymore. I've actually tried a bit of hunting myself and enjoyed it, but I can think of better things to do with that much money than shoot some mutton with croissant shaped horns. Think of all the cams you could buy with that (sarcasm meter should detect a moderate reading) much dough!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

for a quarter million dollars, i'll sell you a tag to hunt for ME. that is pretty crazy. think of all the plane tickets you could buy for that much money...