Monday, August 13, 2007

Very Food Oriented Post

This was taken a couple of months ago at a climbers party: Marty's website

Marty Blumen is getting his photography business off the ground, and his work is impressive to say the least. Check his site out if you get the chance, he'll appreciate the interest. In the pic we'd just finished some cake I'd made with a vanilla bean custard and some strawberry guava sauce. I'm going to miss having a guava tree in my backyard. The avocado tree is strictly off limits though, as my landlord harvests them for his personal use. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it, but my landlord is a retired Law professor and thus, we use the moniker "the professor" to refer to him. I have two other flatmates (not roommates here, which makes sense when you think about it) a Chinese fellow who goes by Tim and Argentinian Marianna. Here's a picture of our "Christmas Dinner" we had back in June. We are a multicultural group of cohabitants.



Timbo makes some good dumplings and the professor introduced me to his "should be famous" bread pudding with brandy butter.

I've heard the food here in "En Zed" described as bad English food, but living in Auckland has it's perks. You can ingest some pretty fine sushi here for dirt cheap thanks to a large Asian population. My favorite are the cheeses. The Brie, Gouda and Colby here are all scrumptious. Lamb is also easy to come by (go figure) but I'm not that into it. I haven't really met I pie I thoroughly enjoyed and I'm going to drink a whole jar of Salsa when I get home thanks to the lack of Mexican food. Damn, now I'm all hungry...

p.s. Wow I just noticed Carl Rove is resigning. These are crazy times back home to say the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice picture of everyone. I checked out your friend's web page...I esp. like the pic of you peeking at all of the food on the table :)

Anonymous said...

Finally we get to see your flatmates and Professor! It's a really great photo!